Evening Coalition Update Meeting
Many people in our community cannot attend the monthly Speak UP! coalition meetings, held on the first Thursday morning of the month. As a result, Speak Up! will be launching quarterly evening meetings to reach a wider audience and to provide an update on coalition activities.
Our first evening meeting will take place on:
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
7 – 9 PM
Gorton Community Center
At this meeting, we will report the results of our listening sessions conducted in January and February. These sessions helped us gain valuable qualitative data (why and how) that we can pair with our existing quantitative data (who, what, when). In these sessions, we learned:
- community norms, perceptions, opinions, beliefs and attitudes toward alcohol and underage drinking
- what influences past 30-day use of alcohol to increase significantly between 8th and10th grade, and again between 10th and 12th grade
- factors for why parental disapproval of underage drinking decreases as children age
- sources for youth gaining access to alcohol
- why some adults justify providing alcohol to underage youth
- the need for additional educational resources on the risks and harms associated with the underage use of alcohol.
In order to better understand how these local conditions affect our youth, Ryanne Bright, MA, LCPC, CADC, will share what she has learned about the impact adults have on youth behavior. Ryanne will offer us research and knowledge related to what parents need to learn and understand in order to help today’s youth migrate through the current community environment.
To learn more about Ryanne, click here.
Please come help make a difference for our youth, our families and our community.
Speak UP! Prevention Coalition