February 2013 Coalition Minutes
Speak Up Prevention Coalition Minutes
February 7, 2013
Attendees: 7 coalition and community members attended, see signup sheet for names and organization affiliation
Staff: Khris Condon
- LB/LF Drug & Alcohol Panel (cancelled due to snow storm)
- Finding Your North Star (cancelled due to snow storm)
- Behind the Orange Curtain (Wed, 2/27, Rosalind Franklin University)
Listening Sessions Update
Khris reported on the demographics and number of interviews completed.
|Lake Forest||Lake Bluff||Knollwood|
|Completed > 24||27||14||4|
v Complete more interviews – Knollwood
v Send survey notes to data evaluator
v Receive data evaluator conclusions and recommendations (end of March)
v Present conclusions and recommendations at April meeting
v Host community meetings – April/May
v Youth Surveys – invite students to come for lunch and provide food, schedule as group of friends, could invite during study hall and lunch periods for high school students that can leave campus. Ask CROYA youth to participate in listening sessions.
DPM Youth Summit attendees have decided to organize a mix it up lunch for 7/8 graders only. The event will be a lunch period where students are encourage to sit with different students during the period.
DPM Youth Summit attendees would like to have Ty Sells come do a school wide assembly next Fall so all students can hear Ty’s message.
Northshore Pharmacy Update
v Insert or staple Rx misuse and abuse in Northshore Pharmacy inside Sunset Foods
v Eventually through Northshore hospitals HP, Evanston and Glenview
v Insert is modified slightly for each location
There was low attendance at this meeting because it conflicted with the LB/LB Drug and Alcohol Panel presentations at the middle schools. Andy, school administrators, social workers, law enforcement and parents were in attendance at the alcohol panel.
Instead of breaking into separate work groups we brainstormed ideas for our year 4 DFC Grant Plan which is due on Feb, 2/28.
- Mentoring program using high schools resulting in scholarship program ($2K) for youth who stay actively involved as defined by the coalition
- Send more youth to Y2Y training
- Fun/Weekend activities – safe after prom event
- Anti-sleepover campaign – code for underage drinking party
- Create an Our Stories Marijuana DVD
Suggested Speaker Sources:
- Lise Elliott – Rosalind Franklin University – Neuro Psych
- Emergency Room employee
- Craig/Karl again
- Sergeant Storks from the National Guard
- Northshore community hospital, Anna Russo
- Compass Health
- FAN (Family Action Network)
Meeting was adjourned at 10:30 AM
Next Coalition Meeting: March 7, 2013
Lake Forest High School West Campus