How To Get Involved
Join your fellow community members and SpeakUP! to prevent underage drinking!
How Can You SpeakUP?
- Sign up for our SpeakUP! Coalition Newsletter to stay up to date on our prevention efforts and community involvement opportunities.
- Join one of our listening sessions to help us understand the community norms and attitudes about underage drinking.
- Familiarize yourself with our local data surrounding alcohol and drug use.
- Take some extra time to talk to your kids (again, and again) about the risks of drinking. Make your family rules clear. Visit LEAD’s website at www.leadingefforts.org for tips on how to start these conversations.
- Get to know the parents of your children’s friends. Have them over for dinner, and bring up the subject of underage drinking. Try to determine where they stand. Agree to support one another if like-minded.
- If you know that an underage drinking situation is happening, you can anonymously contact the police with the information. In Lake Forest, call (847) 234-2601 and in Lake Bluff call (847) 234-2153. As this is anonymous, you will not be asked to give your name.
- If you see someone selling or serving a person you know is a minor, quietly let the manager know, and contact our leadership team so we can follow up with the manager.
- Encourage people at clubs or organizations you know to have a presentation on the new information about the risks of underage drinking. Contact the office if they are interested at (847) 295-9075.
- Talk to your child’s teachers and coaches regarding your concerns about drinking and encourage them to speak to the kids about the issue.
We could use help with:
- public relations
- graphic design
- invitations to speak at various community groups and clubs
- donation of office supplies, website expertise
- envelope stuffing and stickering
- hosting coffees among friends (facilitator provided by the Coalition)
- funding to help support coalition activities
All donations are fully tax deductible. LEAD, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, is serving as the fiscal partner for the Coalition, and will accept your designated donations by check, credit card, or in kind. To donate via credit card, click here to be taken to our secure donation area on LEAD’s website.
To donate via check, please mail your payment to:
SpeakUP! Prevention Coalition
400 E. Illinois Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045
For questions about our donation process, please contact us at (847) 295-9075.